Monday, November 9, 2009

Matzo Ball Soup

\


Ahhhh Matzo Balls. Tasty tender little balls of joy. Now a shiksa (non-Jewish gal) like myself isn't going to enter any contests for Matzo ball soup. But dang'it I do think I make a mean soup for Jew and Gentile alike. This batch turned out great and I hope that I don't eat it all so that I can take a taste to my Jewish co-workers for a real test of my cookery. I didn't have enough eggs to make the double batch of balls that I was hoping to, so, tomorrow I will have to make the second round of balls.

So let's get down with it!

Ingredients:
3 carrots chopped
3 celery stalks chopped
1 red onion chopped
1 peeled potato chopped
tbsp of butter or Earthbound
Vegetable stock or Better Than Bouillon- 4 quarts?
6 sprigs of fresh thyme. otherwise a tablespoon of dried
3 bay leaves.



Matzo Balls:
8 large eggs
2 cups matzo meal
1/2 cup veg oil
1/2 cup water
2 tsp salt
big ol pinch of pepper

My roommate brought me carrots from her mother's garden, crazy looking, like something out of a Czech horror movie about veggie babies that come to life and torture their adoptive parents.



Melt butter in your biggest pot. Add salt and pepper. Saute the veggies till the onions are almost transluscent. Right about now your roommate will come in declaring that it, "Smells just like Thanksgiving!" Well my dear that's because onions, celery, and butter are the foundation of a good stuffing.

Once the veggies are nice and smelly add the veggie stock. I kept adding till I got to about 2/3 of the pot full (you don't want to overflow once the balls get dropped). Then add the de-stemed thyme leaves and bay leaves

While the broth is a'boilin' start yer balls. Sorry for the redundancy of "balls" but I really can't think of a better term and if it makes you giggle then all the better.

Crack your eggs into a bowl and add the water, oil, salt and pepper. Mix well.



Fold in the matzo meal until smooth. Then throw that bowl into the fridge for an hour to set up.





One hour later: remove the bowl from the fridge and lets get to ballin'
Make sure your hands are squeaky clean and spoon out some of the mix. Roll it around your palms until you have a 1 to 1 and a half inch ball. Drop it into your stock that is at a rolling boil.



Once you've dropped all the balls in, boil for a few minute and then reduce to a simmer.

Try not to stick your face in to the fragrant broth, it might leave a mark. You don't want to walk into work, yet again with third degree burns on your face, only to have your coworkers ask, "Hey what's up with your face?" You hang your head, "Mazto ball soup." They look at you with concern and stiffled laughter, "Ohhhh cooking again huh?"



Check back in a few minutes. BOOM you've got tender floating balls of yummy happiness. Sounds a bit like a Japanese drink or something huh?





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails