Friday, January 7, 2011

Weeknight Veg Pizza- dairy free

\
Last night the roommate and I did our massive grocery trek for the week, Super King for veggies and Trader Joe for all the pantry goods. Passing the refrigerated balls of dough nestled under shelves of micro-ready meals, I dreamt of pizza, a rarely enjoyed food for a lactose intolerant. Whole wheat dough, soyrella and sun-dried tomato tofurkey sausage in hand, finally, I had a meal in mind when I left the TJ check stand. Usually I get home and unload a hodgepodge of mismatched condiments and vegetables, not this time! Victory over the grocery aisle space-out that has sucked hours of my life away.

Ingredients:



Whole wheat dough
Four button mushrooms sliced
1/4 cup thin sliced zucchini
1 Italian sun-dried tomato Tofurkey sausage, sliced
1/4 cup sun- dried tomatoes julienned. I used kitchen shears
1 clove of garlic minced
1 cup marinara
1/4 cup shredded soyrella
4 leaves of basil shredded
4 pitted kalamata olives minced.



This vegetarian dairy-free pizza was downright healthy. Start with whole wheat dough, remove from the plastic and place on cutting board dusted with cornmeal. Let the dough rest and reach room temp. After 20 minutes roll the dough out into a vaguely round shape. If yours looks like a circle then you are way ahead of me on technique. Take a fork and prick the dough a bit all over, I think this keeps it from bubbling up all over but I could be wrong.

Place your battered and pricked pizza blob in the oven on a cookie sheet. Sometimes I drizzle with oil and salt but this time I didn't. Prebake the dough for approximately 8 min or until the dough looks firm but not golden yet.




Now you are ready to dress it up with all the fixins. Paint a layer of marinara and place your toppings in an even layer. Then drizzle a touch more marinara over to help cook the zucchini and mushrooms. Careful with the sauce, a swimming pool of it can make for a soggy crust that flops your toppings off when you try to eat it.


I then grated a dusting of soyrella, sprinkled the basil, and another layer of soyrella.
Word of caution, I only use the soyrella as a web to secure my toppings. It won't taste like mozzarella and can really affect the taste of your pie if overused.



Bake in the oven until the crust is golden and your 'rella is melted.
Let cool a touch, then slice and chow down.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails